Tuesday, June 16, 2009

God is great, God is good

I was a with a good friend and his family eating lunch after church Sunday. His little boy Caleb, who is 3, saw us praying over the meal and he wanted to pray next. He said "Caleb do it, Caleb do it." So we all bowed our heads because he wouldn't begin until we did, then he prayed "God is great, God is good, let us thank Him for our food. Amen." He was so excited, he screamed "Yea! Caleb, do it again, do it again." So we bowed our heads and he prayed again, this time only the first part was audible, "God is great, God is good..." 

Have you ever thought about that phrase. Is it just me or does it not make much sense to describe God this way. If someone asked you how a movie was that you just saw, you could say it was good, or you could say it was great, but not both. Maybe no one else thinks like this and I am making no sense at all. But last night I heard a pastor speak on a verse that made Caleb's  prayer, the same one that I had prayed so many times, finally make sense.

Psalm 62:11 –Psalm 62:12 a

      I heard God say two things:

      “I am powerful,

       and I am very kind.”

 

God is great in power and good to all. If you described our God as only one of those and left the other one out, it would give the wrong impression. A great and powerful God who is not loving is a scary thought. But think about a loving God that has no power, that makes Him seem about as helpful as your grandmother, no offense to the grandmothers. So I guess I write all of that to say this: That short prayer that we learned at a young age, just like Caleb, has a beautiful and awesome meaning. 


We serve a great, powerful, and almighty God, who has the whole world in His hands. And that same God is so good to us and loves us more than we can imagine.


 God is great, God is good...

No comments:

Post a Comment