Saturday, June 6, 2009

Gone Fishing...

So I  was planning on fishing all day today, but it didn't work out. I probably havent been fishing in over a year or two, which is surprising because I really enjoy to fish. I am by no means a good fisherman because of a severe lack of patience. But it is a great way to get away from everything. Fishing is very peaceful to me, a great time to listen to God. I think we have trouble listening to the Holy Spirit because of the loudness of our lives. But not just the ipod , or TV, or other people, but sometimes the loudness of our thoughts. One of the Enemies greatest tools is to attack our thoughts, keep our minds so preoccupied with meaningless things that we cant hear the Spirit and then we cant possibly live by the Spirit. One on the signers of the Declaration of Independence, I should know which one being a History major but I don't, said something along these lines, I left the city to escape the noise and it was there in the countryside that I discovered the noise was inside of my head.  But maybe we dont want to hear the Spirit. I found this in a blog.

"He is the Holy Spirit, who leads into all truth." John 14:17

I think most of us wish the Holy Spirit led us into all comfort. We might even settle for partial truth. But all truth? Most of us would rather surround ourselves with people who will simply validate what we falsely believe about ourselves. That isn't the Holy Spirit. Like a good counselor, He'll take you places you don't want to go so you can get where He wants you to goHe'll reveal things you don't want to know so you can become who He wants you to be. 

I think many of us get frustrated at times because it seems like God is silent. Here's a thought: if you cannot hear the voice of God maybe it's because you aren't willing to hear everything He has to say? 

You can't tune out His convicting voice and still hear His guiding voice or wise voice or comforting voice. You cannot listen to half of what the Holy Spirit has to say. It's a package deal. If you tune out His convicting voice you won't hear anything He has to say.

- Mark Batterson

That last paragraph describes me. I am always looking for wisdom from the Spirit and feel like it doesn't always come. But maybe I am only listening when its convenient or in my time of need. 

On a more worldly note, I was recently informed that the I had named my blog after a song that was inspired by heroine or written about heroine. I am sorry if that offends anyone and there will be a new title soon. 

1 comment:

  1. Just so you know, I was a little offended by your blog name, I'm glad someone told you about that!

    ReplyDelete